Friday 28 November 2014

Happy Eating!

Some people have asked me for a blog about being a vegan...so here it is. 
There's lot's to know, not just about veganism but more importantly, why move away from animal products, so I usually suggest to my friends to google and read about it first before drawing any conclusions. 
Now that I eat a vegan diet, I regularly get asked what I eat. In fact, many people do not know what a vegan is. A vegan is someone who does not eat any animal products. Some vegans choose to go further than just diet, restricting wearing clothes and shoes that have been made from animals, or cosmetics that have been tested on animals. 
Before my diagnosis, I had already been reading about vegan, raw and acid/alkaline diets so I already knew about the health benefits. (Please note though, some people can claim to eat a vegan or vegetarian diet without a vegetable ever passing their lips...and no, this is not healthy! A whole foods, plant based diet is what I eat and is what the WHO claim to be excellent for your health and the environment.) So, it was a very easy decision once diagnosed to make the switch to being vegan. I make all of my meals from scratch. It is easy to do and it means I can be completely sure that no animal products have sneaked into my meal. You would be surprised at just how many shop bought vegetable sauces, etc, have milk in them. In fact, have a look in your cupboards and fridges at the ingredient labels, especially those that you would not expect any dairy to be lurking...it's in everything. Not good for those with intolerances, skin, asthma or other inflammatory conditions.
Garlicky mushrooms with cannellini beans
and spinach

So here is a very small selection of what I love to eat;
Vegetable and rice noodle stir fries
Vegetable curry..one fav is sweet potato and spinach
Minestrone soup full of chunky veg including potatoes and beans
In fact any veg soup; carrot and coriander or spicy butternut squash especially!
vegemince chilli
vegemince spag bol
Mina's Minestrone Soup
salad and marinated tofu with roast potatoes
marinated artichokes, peppers and rice
The list goes on, I won't bore you further! 
I like to choose my favourite dishes and veganise them! 

I am also experimenting with vegan baking. I love chocolate cake, so here is the recipe (as I have promised some friends I would add it). It is a really moist cake and very quick to make. My kids love it!

Oven at 175 degrees Celsius
Vegan Chocolate Cake
I use a lined or greased loaf tin
210g plain flour
200g caster sugar
35g good quality 100% cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
Half teaspoon salt

Sift together in a large bowl
then add
225ml water
75mls of vegetable oil or you can use 75g vegetable spread (I use soya Pure)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar (or white vinegar, but the balsamic complements the chocolate)
Mix together to combine all ingredients.
Pour mixture into pan and bake for 45mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
Veganise your favourite buttercream using icing sugar and vegan margarine (I use Pure) to top, or serve warm with dairy free custard, or your favourite jam. Yum! 

If you fancy eating more healthier, especially after over eating during the festive period, why don't you do some reading around the subject of a whole foods, plant based diet. Have a look at the health benefits you can expect. It is particularly beneficial for those looking to lose weight in a healthy, gradual manner. It can reverse high cholesterol, diabetes and heart disease and protect against many cancers.
In a society where obesity, ill health and cancer are becoming epidemic we need to look at how we can take responsibility for our own health rather than expecting our doctors to simply dish out the drugs...it is no way to live.
One of my Facebook friends has just shared this excellent web site about giving veganism a go in January... have a look, the recipes are brilliant. Or, just ease yourself into it by having an animal free day, once a week. (p.s. you don't need to register to have a look at the recipes, etc)

Happy Eating!





No comments:

Post a Comment