Saturday 9 August 2014

More steps along the way

So I started Tamoxifen...and stopped. Why?..Quite simply, I felt bloody awful. One of the side effects is nausea and vomiting which can last a few months before it settles. Well I guess with me being my usual drug sensitive way I started to feel slightly nauseous on the first day of taking it. I persevered for a few more but as I had also started radiotherapy, I just didn't feel that I could cope. I hoped the feeling would settle but it was only getting worse. To be honest, I am not happy about the long term side effects from this drug either but on a positive note, most research points to good recurrence prevention. I am scared, I can't deny it. I don't want to live under this constant shadow, so I need to discuss my options with my oncologist.
As mentioned, I started radiotherapy too. My appointments are first thing in the morning so that I can get back to the children to let my husband get to work. I am tired with the travelling and early starts but compared to the chemo...well, it's a walk in the park! I've also found that if I put my Kindle books onto audio, I can drive and listen to my favourite books at the same time, so I'm quite happy.
The staff at the Beatson are very friendly and professional. It is easy for a new patient to worry about radiotherapy when you don't know what to expect. But the staff are relaxed and approachable, so I feel I have been able to ask whatever questions that have been worrying me. They also do regular image and dose checks to make sure that you are given the right amount of radiation and there are always two members of staff to check your treatment, so I feel pretty reassured.

I am also doing pretty well cutting out the animal products from my diet. I feel good, happier, healthier and I can see my skin improving again. I still need to step up on my water intake and some essential minerals and vitamins that I want to supplement. People that don't take animal products need vitamin B12, so that is a necessity.

Research on prevention of ill health shows that maintaining a low stress level is important. Research is pretty clear that stress can impact on our immune and cardiovascular systems. So, I'm adding some Reiki and meditation in as often as I can. This can be difficult at night as I tend to fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow! One thing that I have found to be extremely helpful at reducing stress and worry, is remaining in the now. Your point of power is right now. Right at this moment. You can't change the past, it's done. There is little point worrying about the future, about what might happen. That time isn't here yet, so worrying won't help. But now, now is what is here. Now you can appreciate what you have. Now you can do what needs to be done. Now you can chose something better. Now you can think that all is ok...and it is!

click on the link  -Research on stress and cancer



No comments:

Post a Comment