Wednesday 5 March 2014

Awareness is empowerment

I watched my lovely little boy recite a poem today in front of his school. So proud to be his mum and to watch him grow into being the wonderful person that he is. I want to be here to see my children grow up and to give them the support that I never had as I grew up. Something I grieved for, for many years. I guess that is why awareness is such an important issue for me. Awareness of your own health and knowledge about what we can do individually for ourselves and others. I WILL NOT stick my head in the sand and deny what I need to know to make things better for me and my fellow humans.

The newspaper article that my sister did recently (with myself in the pics) has caused quite a bit of chaos in our family. Some were annoyed that we had made family issues public. I make this statement again as I did to my family... I will NOT feel ashamed or embarrassed that I have this crap disease (from which I intend to recover).  Awareness is key. Anita and I raised this awareness to protect our family. Can you imagine what would happen if Anita had kept this private. What position would I be in..the lives of my two children...not to mention the lives of our extended family and their children. That is partly the problem in our society. We have mistakenly been lead to believe that we should be insular and private. It's a great way for those who like to maintain fear to succeed in gaining control and power over others.

No comments:

Post a Comment